How do I register with HMRC when I become self employed or start as a sole trader business?

When you become self employed or start a sole trader business, you are required to officially register with HMRC.

This will ensure that you receive a Self Assessment tax return at the end of the tax year to enable you to report (and pay the appropriate taxes) on your business activities.

The registration process is fairly straightforward, and can either be done by completing the relevant form(s) and submitting them to HMRC by post, or more simply online.

How to register with HMRC?

To register by post, then complete the form ‘Register if you’re a Self Employed sole trader’ (CWF1) with all of the requested information and then send it to HMRC.

To do this online, then you will need to go to HMRC’s website (see and ensure that you have all of the following information available:

• Name
• Address
• National insurance number
• Date of birth
• Telephone number
• Email address
• The nature of your business
• Start date of self-employment
• Business address
• Business telephone number
• Your Unique Tax Reference (UTR) (Only if you’ve been
within self-assessment previously)
• Full name and date of birth of any business partners

What are the key dates for my diary?

• Deadline for registering for Self employment e.g. 5th October post the end of the first tax year when you started your business

• End of the tax year e.g. 5th April each year (6th April to 5th April)

• Income tax payments on account required to be paid to HMRC e.g. 31st July and 31st January after the end of the tax year

• Deadline for Self Assessment tax return submission to HMRC e.g. by 31st January after the end of the tax year